Eleven Garden City Park residents were exposed to a natural gas leak that police say may have come from a deli below their apartments.
Five of the residents complained of nausea and were taken to hospitals by the Garden City Park Fire Department, police said. The other six residents declined medical treatment at scene.
Margulies said workers turned off the gas to the apartments, a nearby pizzeria, and the deli early Friday. She said workers later turned back on the gas at the pizzeria but after inspecting a stove at the deli decided not to restore gas there.
Margulies said National Grid has advised the deli to get the stove checked by a contractor and repaired if needed.
Gas to the apartments remained turned off around noon Friday but Margulies said workers will inspect the apartments and restore gas if possible at residents' requests.