Two men were taken to the hospital after a fire started Friday afternoon in a fourth-floor apartment in Cedarhurst, where an accelerant-detection dog later sniffed for clues on what started the blaze, a fire official said.
As parts of his top-floor apartment burned, the resident hung out of a window -- prompting 911 calls about people possibly trapped in the building, said Michael Uttaro, Nassau County assistant chief fire marshal.
Cedarhurst firefighters rescued the resident after he retreated into his apartment, Uttaro said.
The blaze was deemed suspicious and the investigation continues, said James Hickman, head of the fire marshal's fire investigations division,
The occupant suffered from smoke inhalation and minor burns and was taken to Nassau University Medical Center, Uttaro said.
The building superintendent also was taken to a hospital for smoke inhalation after helping get people out of the building, Uttaro said.
At least six fire departments responded to 97 Cedarhurst Ave. after the blaze was reported about 2:30 p.m. authorities said. The fire was under control by 4 p.m., Uttaro said.
Umi, a specially trained black Labrador retriever, was taken around the fourth-floor apartment, authorities said. Uttaro said.
Damage was were largely confined to that apartment, although other floors sustained water damage, authorities said.