66° Good Evening
66° Good Evening
Long IslandNassau

Great Neck bagel store evacuated for dangerously high CO levels, police say

Two Nassau County police officers evacuated up to 10 people from a Great Neck bagel store Wednesday after one of the officers’ carbon monoxide detectors registered dangerously high levels of the odorless and colorless lethal gas, officials said.

The device was set off after the officers walked into the Best Bagels in Great Neck Plaza at 40 Middle Neck Rd. around 11:51 a.m., Nassau police said in a news release. Five patrons and five employees were in the store, police said.

No one was hurt in the incident, police said.

Nassau police are not issued carbon monoxide detectors, a spokesman said Thursday morning. “It just happened that the officer — it was his own personal detector,” he said. “Some people carry them and it was very lucky for everyone there.”

Vigilant Fire Department officials said the level of carbon monoxide was 600 parts per million, a concentration that could be fatal. They determined that a faulty boiler released the gas, police said, adding that the store will be closed until the boiler is repaired.

The store was open Thursday morning.

With Joan Gralla

Exclusive subscription offer

Newsday covers the stories that matter most to Long Islanders. We dig deep to uncover the facts, hold the powerful in check and keep a watchful eye on Long Island.

Your digital subscription, starting at $1, supports local journalism vital to the community.



We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

Latest Long Island News