TODAY'S PAPER
Good Morning
Good Morning
Long IslandNassau

North Bellmore family evacuated after carbon monoxide fills home

A North Bellmore family of six were removed from their house Sunday after it filled with carbon monoxide, a fire department chief said.

Family members ranging from a 1-month-old baby to a couple in their late 80s to early 90s were in stable condition and transported to Nassau County Medical Center, North Bellmore Fire Chief Brendan Narell said.

Family members also included a girl about age 8 and the children’s parents, he said.

A deputy chief went to the Sterling Street house and found an issue with an oil burner after detectors for smoke and carbon monoxide went off, Narell said. Fans were used to ventilate the house.

“I cannot stress the importance that everyone should have carbon monoxide alarms on every floor because it’s odorless and colorless,” Narell said.

Nassau top stories