TODAY'S PAPER
Clear 37° Good Afternoon
Clear 37° Good Afternoon
Long IslandNassau

Carbon monoxide in Valley Stream home sends 5 to hospital, police say

Police and firefighters respond to a carbon monoxide

Police and firefighters respond to a carbon monoxide incident at a home on Elmont Road in Valley Stream on Saturday, March 18, 2017. Five people from the house, including two who were found unconscious, were taken to a hospital. Photo Credit: Howard Schnapp

Five people suffered carbon monoxide poisoning inside a Valley Stream home Saturday night, authorities said.

Nassau County police officers went to the Elmont Road home, where they found three people — a 59-year-old man, a 27-year-old woman and a 5-year-old boy — who were lethargic and dizzy just after 7:30 p.m. police said.

The three victims were able to walk out of the home and were taken to a hospital for treatment, police said. The officers then went down to a basement bedroom and discovered two unconscious women in their 20s. They also were taken to a hospital where they were revived, police said.

Officials from the Elmont Fire Department, which responded to the scene, later determined the carbon monoxide came from an oil burner exhaust pipe, police said in a news release.

Latest Long Island News

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE