52° Good Evening
52° Good Evening
Long IslandNassau

Christopher Bunn faces sentencing after collecting dead father's Social Security benefits while leaving the body at the Nassau morgue

Christopher Bunn, a Queens man who collected his

Christopher Bunn, a Queens man who collected his dead fathers' pension for a year while the body of the former NYPD sergeant was left unclaimed in a morgue, is seen in this photo from a Facebook page. Photo Credit: FACEBOOK

A Queens man could face jail Tuesday at his sentencing for larceny after leaving his father's body unclaimed at the Nassau morgue so he could collect incoming pension and Social Security benefits, authorities said.

When his father died in February 2010, Christopher Bunn wrote in his Facebook page, "From the son comes the father and from the father the son. Goodbye, Dad. I love you."

But prosecutors and investigators said Bunn, 49, of Jamaica took $7,542 in pension and $17,790 in Social Security -- money electronically deposited into his father James' account in the 14 months after his death.

Bunn's late mother, a state worker, had designated his father as her beneficiary, and those benefits were not transferrable after the father's death, authorities said.

Bunn pleaded guilty in October to third-degree grand larceny, a felony, and misdemeanor petty larceny.

"Mr. Bunn left his deceased father's body unclaimed at the Nassau County morgue for more than a year so he could steal his pension and Social Security payments," State Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli said in a statement.

Bunn's father has since been buried, authorities said.

Bunn was to be sentenced Monday to time served and full repayment of funds, but he was held when he failed to bring what he owed, according to the comptroller and the Queens district attorney. The judge plans to give him jail time if he does not have the funds Tuesday, prosecutors said. Bunn does not have an attorney, a friend said.

He was arrested in a federal fraud case in 2001 and convicted in 2004 of wire fraud involving a Manhattan telecommunications company where he served as the chief executive. Bunn was sentenced to nine years in prison and ordered to repay $5.9 million, but he kept his case in court for another 10 years with appeals. He was paroled in 2011.

After Bunn's arrest in the benefits case, he served six months in jail, which was to be his time served at scheduled sentencing Monday, authorities said.

The benefits investigation started in May 2011, when Social Security officials notified the New York State and Local Retirement System that the NYPD sergeant remained unclaimed at the Nassau County medical examiner's morgue. The state pension system is overseen by the comptroller.

It was not clear how Bunn's father continued getting payments after his death.


We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

Latest Long Island News