TODAY'S PAPER
Few Clouds 42° Good Afternoon
Few Clouds 42° Good Afternoon
Long IslandNassau

Cigarette fire damages apartment above Mineola restaurant

A careless smoker caused a small fire in

A careless smoker caused a small fire in an apartment above a Mineola restaurant Thursday morning, a county fire official said. (Jan. 9, 2014) Photo Credit: Lou Minutoli

A careless smoker caused a small fire in an apartment above a Mineola restaurant Thursday morning, a county fire official said.

The third-floor fire above the Shakers Restaurant caused minor damage, primarily confined to a window, said James Hickman, head of the investigations division at the Nassau County fire marshal's office.

The blaze started at 11 a.m., police said, and Mineola Boulevard was shut down for about half an hour as firefighters doused the flames.

Latest Long Island News

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE