TODAY'S PAPER
Few Clouds 44° Good Morning
Few Clouds 44° Good Morning
Long IslandNassau

Cops: 14 injured after candle sparks fire

Many residents evacuated from an apartment building in hempstead that caught fire due to an unattended candle. Videojournalist: Stringer News Service (July 23, 2012)

Fourteen people, including a firefighter, were injured, two of them critically, after a fire sparked by an unattended candle swept through an apartment building in Hempstead Sunday night, police said.

The identities of the injured were not released.

The two most seriously injured in the fire on Terrace Avenue were in critical but stable condition Monday, Nassau County police said.

Police said most of the injuries suffered in the fire were the result of smoke inhalation.

The injured firefighter suffered a cut finger and was treated at the scene.

About 250 firefighters from 10 departments, including Hempstead, South Hempstead, West Hempstead, Uniondale, Roosevelt, Lakeview, Rockville Centre, Baldwin, East Meadow and Franklin Square, battled the blaze, which occurred about 10:30 p.m.

Mineola Ambulance also responded to the scene.

Police said six families were displaced by the fire, which police said began in the apartment of a 56-year-old resident who left a candle burning.

The American Red Cross provided temporary lodging, as well as funds for food and clothing, to seven residents from three families, regional communications director Sam Kille said Monday.

Kille said he expects the number of people needing temporary shelter, clothing and food will increase as residents are released from the hospital.

Latest Long Island News

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE