Good Morning
Good Morning
Long IslandNassau

Cops: Albertson man charged after standoff

Jeffrey S. Anlyan, 45, faces an array of

Jeffrey S. Anlyan, 45, faces an array of charges including menacing, arson and burglary after he barricaded himself during a standoff with officers in Albertson, police said. (July 9, 2012) Credit: Howard Schnapp

An Albertson man was in custody Tuesday morning after a daylong confrontation with Nassau police that started when he provoked a dispute with his mother, stole a dagger from her home, then held officers at bay as he threatened to kill police and himself, authorities said.

Jeffrey S. Anlyan menaced the police with a knife, lit a natural gas line and feigned having a handgun before officers subdued him Monday night with a nonlethal projectile, police said.

Anlyan, 45, faces an array of charges, including menacing, arson, burglary, robbery and criminal mischief, police said.

During the standoff, police cordoned off the block and evacuated neighbors, only allowing them back after the arrest.

Police gave this account of Anlyan's actions, which began shortly before 8 a.m. Monday when he approached his mother, 73, as she walked her dog on Oakridge Lane in Albertson:

He threatened to kill her and pushed her back to her Netz Place home, from which he took a dagger, folding knife and motor scooter keys. He left on the scooter and went to his Hilltop Place home, which his mother owns.

When he threatened them and himself with a knife, police set up the perimeter around the house about 9:30 a.m. Anlyan then lit an open, interior gas line, causing an explosion damaging the house.

Police deployed hostage negotiation, electronics, emergency services and special operations units. National Grid said its workers shut off the gas at the house at the authorities' request.

Finally, about 6:30 p.m., Anlyan emerged from a room and threatened officers with what appeared to be a gun wrapped in a shirt. Police fired a "midrange impact weapon which propelled a non-life-threatening projectile" striking Anlyan in the torso.

Police said he was taken and held at Nassau University Medical Center in stable condition, for treatment of injuries from the gas explosion.

With Ellen Yan and Bill Mason

Nassau top stories