Good Afternoon
Good Afternoon
Long IslandNassau

Cops: Man beat, raped woman during Sandy power outage

Nassau police say Artie R. Jackson was arrested

Nassau police say Artie R. Jackson was arrested in connection with an armed home invasion of a Third Street home in Garden City. (Nov. 8, 2012) Credit: NCPD

A Hempstead man was charged with beating and raping a woman at knifepoint during a power outage in her East Garden City home caused by superstorm Sandy.

Artie Jackson, 46, pleaded not guilty at his arraignment in First District Court in Hempstead on felony charges of rape, predatory sexual assault, assault, strangulation, sexual abuse, attempted murder, robbery and burglary. Judge Eric Bjorneby ordered that he be jailed without bail.

All the charges relate to the Sunday break-in, except the attempted murder charge, which stems from a break-in Thursday.

Steven Skrynecki, chief of department for Nassau County police, said Monday that Jackson would be charged with three burglaries that occurred when power was out; two in Garden City and one in Hempstead. He also said Jackson might be linked to a dozen others around the time of the storm.

Prosecutors said Jackson entered the East Garden City home of the woman, 50, about 10 p.m. Sunday, fractured bones in her face with a punch before threatening to kill her and assaulting her.

According to court documents, Jackson put a plastic cable tie around her neck "to such a degree that it cut off oxygen to her brain, causing her to pass out" and gave her a life-threatening cut. Jackson stole items from the victim's home and drove off in the woman's car, court documents said.

Nassau police said a witness called 911 after seeing the car leaving the area. Police, who had saturated Garden City and Hempstead with up to 50 patrol cars after being alerted to a burglary pattern, spotted Jackson. He crashed the vehicle in Hempstead and was captured, authorities said.

The victim provided a statement and identified Jackson, court records said.

In the Thursday case, Jackson fired a silver handgun at one victim, prosecutors said, and forced a couple and their daughter into a boiler room at gunpoint. No one was hurt.

Prosecutor Dan Looney called Jackson's actions a "crime spree." Court records said Jackson stole a car, three cellphones, a woman's change purse and about $150 in the Sunday break-in.

When Looney said in court that Jackson was accused of rape, his sister Tammy Duncan, 48, yelled, "What a lie." His mother, 67, and another sister, Diane Jackson, 45, of Hempstead, also were in court.

Diane Jackson said her brother has been living with her since June, after he was released from prison. She said she was with him Sunday night.

When he got in trouble, she said, "he always faced it. . . . He never blamed . . . [anybody]."

Jackson, on parole for a 2008 car theft conviction, had convictions dating to 1983 for burglary, drugs and larceny, records show.

Nassau top stories