Good Evening
Good Evening
Long IslandNassau

DA: Bronx man was drunk while riding water scooter in Manhasset Bay

Wilfred Ford, 51, of the Bronx, was arrested

Wilfred Ford, 51, of the Bronx, was arrested Sunday, Aug. 16, 2015, after constables in Manhasset Bay witnessed him using a water scooter during prohibited nighttime hours. Credit: NCDA

A Bronx man using a water scooter during prohibited nighttime hours in Manhasset Bay was charged with drunken boating, resisting arrest and other offenses after he refused orders to board a constable's boat, jumped into the water, then fought with police before being arrested last weekend, according to officials.

Acting Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Singas announced the arrest Tuesday, while calling for strong boating while intoxicated laws.

The incident described in an account provided by the district attorney's office occurred at about 8 p.m. Sunday off Port Washington, Singas said.

Wilfred Ford, 51, of the Bronx, who officials said was "allegedly speeding with a passenger during prohibited nighttime hours" on a Yamaha water scooter when he was stopped by a Town of North Hempstead Bay Constable was arrested.

Singas said that Ford was "observed to have severely slurred speech, glassy and bloodshot eyes and a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage on his breath." But, Singas said, when asked to board the constable's boat, Ford instead jumped overboard into Manhasset Bay.

Only then, officials said, did Ford comply with a command to board the town boat.

Once aboard, however, Ford resisted arrest and, during a physical struggle, injured the constable, officials said.

The constable, whose identity was not released, sustained a laceration to his thumb.

Ford was only subdued, Singas said, after an off-duty NYPD officer, passing on his personal boat, stopped to assist the constable. Singas said the U.S. Coast Guard and the Nassau County Police Marine Bureau also responded.

Ford was charged with boating while intoxicated, operating a vessel while intoxicated, operating between sunset and sunrise, resisting arrest and imprudent speed. He was arraigned Monday in First District Court in Hempstead.

He was granted a conditional release and is scheduled to appear next on Oct. 6. If convicted, he faces 1 year in jail, Singas said.

Nassau top stories