Good Afternoon
Good Afternoon
Long IslandNassau

Detective: Darrell Fuller, accused cop killer, wouldn't say how he was shot

Accused cop killer Darrell Fuller arrives at the

Accused cop killer Darrell Fuller arrives at the Nassau County Courthouse Jan. 29, 2014 in Mineola. He is back in Judge Jerald Carter's courtroom for more testimony in pre-trial hearings in the lead up to the defendant's double murder trial. Credit: Howard Schnapp

Even as Darrell Fuller denied killing a Nassau cop, the late officer's handcuffs held him to a rail on his hospital bed, a detective testified Wednesday.

Police testimony in Nassau County Court also showed that Fuller wouldn't say how he'd been shot as detectives questioned him hours after, authorities said, he killed Officer Arthur Lopez and Raymond Facey, 58, of Brooklyn, in October 2012.

Detectives testified Fuller first said he didn't remember anything about any confrontations, and later denied responsibility for the deadly shootings.

One of those denials came after a hospital official asked police to remove Fuller's handcuffs to help her change his bedsheets, Nassau Det. James Carroll said during a pretrial hearing.

He said another detective turned the woman down, saying the handcuffs -- which police also later put on Fuller for his arraignment -- belonged to the officer whom Fuller had shot to death.

Carroll said Fuller overheard the conversation and declared: "I didn't kill anybody."

Authorities have alleged Fuller "staged his own shooting" to try to make himself look like a victim in the hours after he fatally shot both victims.

Fuller, 34, of St. Albans, has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder charges. He faces life in prison without parole if convicted.

Prosecutors say Fuller fled from an accident scene before shooting Lopez as the 29-year-old Emergency Service Unit officer approached his car near 241st Street and Jamaica Avenue near the Queens-Nassau border.

They say Fuller then drove a short distance before shooting Facey, who was pulled over on the Cross Island Parkway. Fuller then took off in Facey's car.

Nassau Det. Matthew Ross testified Wednesday about riding in an ambulance with Fuller several hours later after police answered a call about a gunshot victim on 111th Avenue in Queens and found that it was Fuller.

After arriving at Jamaica Hospital Medical Center, Ross said he was with Fuller for hours as the man got treatment for gunshot wounds to a shoulder and a leg. He said Fuller later claimed during a bedside interview that he'd been shot eight times, but didn't know who shot him.

Under cross-examination, the detective said he believed Fuller only had been shot twice.

Ross also testified that while at the hospital Fuller's girlfriend told police that Fuller -- then out on parole -- carried a gun.

Testimony in the case will continue Friday.

Nassau top stories