65° Good Morning
65° Good Morning
Long IslandNassau

Detective: Witness 'got a look' at Darrell Fuller's face

Darrell Fuller, of St. Albans, who is charged

Darrell Fuller, of St. Albans, who is charged in the October 2012 deaths of Nassau Police Officer Arthur Lopez and Raymond Facey, of Brooklyn, heads to a hearing at the Nassau County Courthouse in Mineola on Dec. 16, 2013. Credit: Howard Schnapp

The widow of a Brooklyn man who authorities say was shot to death by a fleeing cop-killer heard testimony Friday about how bystanders tried to help by following the suspect from the crime scene.

June Facey got choked up later when talking about how it felt to know that both a civilian and an off-duty NYPD officer tried to help track her husband's killer.

The victim's body was left on the Cross Island Parkway after the fatal carjacking on Oct. 23, 2012.

"I appreciate the effort that the people made," June Facey said after a Mineola court hearing. "I appreciate it a whole lot."

Darrell Fuller is facing first-degree murder charges in connection with the slayings of Facey and Nassau County Police Officer Arthur Lopez, 29.

Fuller, 34, of St. Albans, has pleaded not guilty and pretrial hearings are underway. Testimony resumes Monday.

Authorities say Fuller fled an accident scene before shooting Lopez after the officer approached his car near 241st Street and Jamaica Avenue near the Queens-Nassau border.

Fuller shot Raymond Facey, 58, minutes later on the parkway, stealing his car while continuing his escape attempt, prosecutors said.

Police testimony Friday also showed that a female motorist, who said she witnessed Facey's shooting, picked Fuller out of a photo array the next day.

"She got a look at his face," Det. Sgt. Christopher Ferro said.

Among the nine witnesses in the case was a mechanic who had been driving on the parkway in his van. Ferro said the mechanic reported seeing a man pull Facey out of his car and drive off.

The van driver followed Facey's car off the highway and called police, Ferro said.

The witness also flagged down a police officer after seeing the driver park, get out on foot and ditch the hooded sweatshirt he'd been wearing, Ferro said.

That witness, however, didn't make a positive identification of Fuller from a photo array, Ferro said when questioned by Fuller's lawyer.

Ferro also described how an off-duty city cop called 911 and followed the suspect from the parkway and into the streets of Queens, where he lost track of him.


We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.