Optimum Customers: Your Newsday access has been extended until Oct 1st. Enroll now to continue your access.

LEARN MORE
TODAY'S PAPER
72° Good Morning
72° Good Morning
Long IslandNassau

Valley Stream house fire starts from barbecue, chief says

Firefighters from several departments battle a house fire

Firefighters from several departments battle a house fire on Shaw Avenue in Valley Stream Sunday evening. Photo Credit: Lou Minutoli

More than 150 firefighters responded to a Valley Stream blaze on Father’s Day that started at a backyard barbecue and spread to the house, a fire chief said.

A female homeowner was taken to the hospital with minor injuries, Valley Stream Fire Department Chief Jason Croak said.

Firefighters from Valley Stream, Elmont, Hewlett, Lynbrook, Malverne and Inwood were called to the two-alarm blaze on Shaw Avenue at 7:40 p.m., Croak said. They found fire outside in the backyard that was spreading into the house.

“The conditions in the house were a little tough,” he said, noting that more firefighters were called because of the day’s high temperatures. “We called for extra manpower, for extra hands to make sure people weren’t overworked.”

The fire is believed to be accidental and to have started with the barbecue on a patio that had a propane tank. It remains under investigation.

“Something happened with the tank,” Croak said.

The home will likely need to be demolished because of heat, water and smoke damage throughout the structure, he said. Firefighters largely kept the fire damage to the rear of the home.

Latest Long Island News

Important message for Optimum customers

Your Newsday digital access is changing as of 10/1

You recently received an email from Optimum’s parent company, Altice USA, informing you that Altice will no longer offer free Newsday digital access with Optimum's online service. Through an exclusive trial offer for Optimum customers, Newsday is pleased to extend your digital access at no cost until the end of the year.

I understand, no thanks