TODAY'S PAPER
Few Clouds 38° Good Evening
Few Clouds 38° Good Evening
Long IslandNassau

Hempstead residents sent to hospital for carbon monoxide, official says

Multiple residents of a Hempstead apartment complex at

Multiple residents of a Hempstead apartment complex at 299 Jackson St. were taken to the hospital Monday morning after high levels of carbon monoxide were discovered in the building, a fire official said, Monday, Feb. 1, 2016. Photo Credit: Steve Pfost

Several residents of a Hempstead apartment complex were taken to the hospital Monday morning after high levels of carbon monoxide were discovered in the building, a fire official said.

Hempstead police said the building on Jackson Street has been cleared — and residents had returned to their apartments. The Hempstead Fire Department said the incident appears to have been the result of “a faulty boiler.”

Hempstead police said Monday night seven residents and two Hempstead police officers were taken to Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow. The two police officers were not admitted, authorities said. Hospital spokeswoman Shelley Lotenberg said one person had been admitted and was undergoing treatment in the hyperbaric chamber. The condition of that patient was not immediately known.

The incident was reported sometime after 5 a.m.

The fire department said tests indicated “high readings” of carbon monoxide, but said the incident was later cleared.

— With Darran Simon

Latest Long Island News

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE