24° Good Morning
24° Good Morning
Long IslandNassau

Town of Hempstead reminds residents to check assessments

Hempstead Supervisor Kate Murray and Receiver of Taxes Don Clavin are reminding residents that they can challenge their assessments by Nassau County if they believe them to be too high compared with similar properties in their neighborhood.

To support that, the officials said in a news release Friday, the town is mailing a guide to residents with instructions on how to challenge their assessments -- the basis for determining property taxes.

Assessments can only be lowered or remain the same -- they cannot be increased as a result of a challenge.

"Challenging your home's assessment is your right as a property taxpayer and is essential to ensuring that you are not paying more in taxes than your fair share," Murray said.

The release noted that Nassau County uses a four-year cyclical valuation system, which freezes property assessments for four years.

"Unless physical changes are made to your property or you receive an assessment reduction resulting from a challenge, your assessed value will not change during that four-year period," the release noted.

Those living in an incorporated village will also have their property assessed by the village. They should contact the village assessor for information about challenging their home's village assessment.

"There is no fee to file an application for [assessment] correction," Clavin said.

A county property assessment challenge can be made in person at the Department of Assessment at 240 Old Country Rd. in Mineola or online at You may file the challenge by yourself or contact a local firm to assist you.

All assessment challenges must be filed by March 2, 2015.


We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.