Two workers at Hofstra University in Hempstead were hospitalized briefly Tuesday night after being exposed to fumes, the school said.

Firefighters responded to the school at 11 p.m. after its Department of Public Safety received reports of an odor at exhibits for Hofstra USA, the annual fall festival for parents and alumni that begins Friday, the school said.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

“Fire officials determined that the odors were paint fumes, possibly from an oil-based paint,” university spokeswoman Karla Schuster said in a statement.

She said the exhibits were being erected by students under the supervision of a university employee.

“Two employees were checked out at local hospitals and released,” Schuster said.

Work on the exhibits resumed Wednesday morning after a meeting with students about safety protocols, Schuster said.