Good Afternoon
Good Afternoon
Long IslandNassau

In Darrell Fuller murder trial, jury hears details of day Nassau officer and Queens man died

Accused cop killer Darrell Fuller arrives at the

Accused cop killer Darrell Fuller arrives at the Nassau County Courthouse on Friday June 13, 2014 in Mineola. Credit: Howard Schnapp

A nursing supervisor, a Queens homeowner and several detectives provided snapshots to a jury Monday of the tangled events on the day a Nassau County police officer and a Brooklyn man were shot to death on the Nassau-Queens border.

The man charged with first degree murder, Darrell Fuller, 34, of St. Albans, Queens, went to his usual dialysis treatment at a Great Neck medical facility on the morning of Oct. 23, 2012, the office's nursing supervisor, Patricia Walsh-Hauser, said in County Court in Mineola.

"That's Darrell Fuller," Walsh-Hauser said, pointing at a security camera image on a screen in the courtroom where Fuller is on trial, accused of killing Officer Arthur Lopez, 29, and Brooklyn resident Raymond Facey, 58.

Fuller's attorney, Kenneth St. Bernard, questioned how Walsh-Hauser could be sure of the identification, given the floppy hat that partially covered the man's face as he left the dialysis center.

Walsh-Hauser testified that she had seen Fuller during his treatment for the past three years. Walsh-Hauser also said she had seen him a couple of hours earlier that day.

Prosecutors charge Fuller left the treatment center, got into a traffic accident and fled. He killed Lopez, 29, of Babylon Village, after being pulled over near a Mobil station on Jamaica Avenue next to the southbound entrance ramp to the Cross Island Parkway, prosecutors have said. He then killed Facey on the parkway before ditching his disabled Honda Accord, and escaping in the Brooklyn man's Toyota Camry, authorities have said.

Homeowner Perumal Mudaliar, a civil engineer who lives on 91st Avenue in Queens Village just north of where Lopez was shot, testified that detectives came to his home hours after the shooting, and he allowed them access to his home's security cameras. Video from the cameras played for jurors Monday showed Lopez's police vehicle in apparent pursuit of Fuller's silver Honda on a southbound service road just north of Jamaica Avenue.

Nassau Det. Michael Maloney then testified he tried to get security video from the Mobil station, but he could not because its hard drive kept crashing.

Later, Nassau Det. Timothy McHugh testified he obtained security footage from a home just south of the Mobil station. That snippet, played for the jury, showed a car like Fuller's entering the southbound parkway just after the Lopez shooting.

Nassau Det. James Cereghino, then told the jury detectives found Facey's gold Toyota Camry at 223rd Street and 113th Street in Queens hours after the shootings. Inside, Cereghino said, detectives found a wallet and cellphone on the blood-splattered driver's side floor, not far from a preschool where Fuller hid out before his arrest.

Nassau top stories