Good Morning
Good Morning
Long IslandNassau

Ivey Dixon admits she 'lost it' and hit NICE bus driver, court papers show

NICE bus driver Keisha McGregor, left, appears at

NICE bus driver Keisha McGregor, left, appears at Nassau District Court in Hempstead, where her alleged attacker, Ivey Dixon of Hempstead, is to be arraigned on assault charges on Feb. 27, 2014. Dixon, 27, right, is escorted out of Nassau police headquarters in Mineola to her arraignment in Hempstead court. Credit: Howard Schnapp

A 27-year-old Hempstead woman accused of assaulting a NICE bus driver told police she "lost it" when the driver failed to drop her off at an unscheduled stop near her son's school, according to court papers.

Ivey S. Dixon, who police said was accompanied by her 3-year-old daughter during the attack, pleaded not guilty to felony second-degree assault at her arraignment Thursday in District Court in Hempstead, a spokesman for the Nassau district attorney's office said. Judge Norman St. George ordered Dixon held on $7,500 cash bail or $15,000 bond.

"I admit I took it too far," Dixon told detectives in Nassau police's Fourth Squad, according to court papers. "I let my anger get the best of me . . . I want to apologize to her."

Bus driver Keisha McGregor, 38, who attended the arraignment with her co-workers and officials from her union, said she suffered a concussion in the Monday attack and wasn't sure when she'd be back to work because she still felt "on edge."

"I hope she goes to jail," said McGregor, who's been driving a bus for a decade. " . . . What kind of crazy person could do this to a bus driver, you know, taking you home?"

Nassau police said McGregor was driving the bus west on Hempstead Turnpike in Franklin Square around 3:30 p.m. Monday when Dixon became upset after the bus passed her stop.

Dixon, a mother of three, told detectives that she had spent the day at social services in Hicksville with her 3-year-old daughter, but had to pick up her 6-year-old son from school at 3:05 p.m. in Hempstead via the Nassau Inter-County Express N-6 bus.

Dixon said she pressed the "stop" button but the bus kept going, according to court papers, and the driver told Dixon that the bus was express and the next stop was New Hyde Park Road.

"That's not near my son's school," Dixon told police. "I didn't have any money to take the bus back to the school."

Dixon told police she asked McGregor to let her out at a red light, but the driver refused.

"When we did get to New Hyde Park Road I lost it," Dixon said. "I was already angry even though she offered me a free transfer to go back . . . I only hit the driver when I was angry."

Dixon struck the driver in the head as the bus approached New Hyde Park Road, police said. She got off the bus and fled east on Hempstead Turnpike with her daughter. She was arrested Wednesday after police received an anonymous tip. McGregor said she stopped the bus using the emergency brake while she was being punched.

She said she called 911, and was shocked that none of her passengers -- at least one of whom recorded the attack on video -- tried to call for help.

McGregor was treated at a hospital for minor injuries.

Supporters of Dixon, who is being represented by a legal aid attorney, declined to comment.

Nassau top stories