A Hempstead man brought two women to party at his home, then held them hostage at gunpoint after he discovered money was missing, authorities said Thursday.

One woman was able to run onto the fire escape to call police about 2:19 p.m. Wednesday, and several officers arrived just as Jermoll Daniels, 32, also ran down the fire escape, tossing his gun on the way before he was captured near his apartment building, said Deputy Chief Mark Matthews of Hempstead police.

"Our officers set up a perimeter -- there was nowhere for him to go," Matthews said.

Daniels, of 32 Moore Ave., was arraigned Thursday on 10 felony counts, including first-degree robbery, first-degree unlawful imprisonment, weapon and drug possession, and two misdemeanor counts of second-degree menacing. Investigators with a search warrant seized 54 grams of cocaine from a sneaker box in the living room; 12.8 ounces of marijuana in Mason jars and a plastic bag in the television room; and a scale and plastic bags, the complaint against him said.

His attorney said Daniels had been seeing one of the women, and, with plans to steal from him, she and a friend went for a sleepover in his home.

When Daniels confronted them Wednesday, they used police to get out of the situation, attorney Greg Madey of Mineola said.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

"I think it was a setup," the attorney said, questioning why the other woman stayed.

But village officials said Daniels gave the women a moment in the bedroom to retrieve the money and return it. Barring them from leaving, he told one woman she would "never see her daughter again" and threatened both with a black handgun, according to court documents. He also stole their handbags and cellphones, the complaint said.

"He pulled out a gun and said if he didn't have his money in five minutes, they were going to be dead," Mayor Wayne Hall said.

One hostage escaped when Daniels either left or went into another room, police said.

After Daniels discovered she was gone, he ran onto the fire escape as police entered the building, jumped onto the roof of a garage near the apartment building and tossed his gun, authorities said. Madey suggested it was a random gun found, not Madey's.

Nassau SWAT officers were called in to help search and a .40-caliber Glock was found nearby, police said.

Daniels was held with bail set at $200,000 bond or $100,000 cash.