Scattered Clouds 48° Good Afternoon
Scattered Clouds 48° Good Afternoon
Long IslandNassau

Kelly Ann Tinyes' family asks state parole officials to keep teen's killer in prison

The family of Kelly Ann Tinyes, right, asked

The family of Kelly Ann Tinyes, right, asked state parole officials to keep convicted killer, Robert Golub, left, in prison on Friday, Oct. 9, 2015.

A Valley Stream couple urged the state parole board Friday to keep the man who lived on their street and strangled their 13-year-old daughter behind bars.

Richard Tinyes said he made the emotional appeal -- more than 26 years after the murder -- during a closed-door meeting in Hempstead.

"It was hard," he said. "Just reliving the whole thing over and over again."

Tinyes, joined by his wife, Victoria, said he told the board it should "keep the animal in jail. He murdered my daughter. He doesn't deserve to be out, and whatever it takes to keep him in, that's what we're going to do."

A dozen family members and friends came to the office of the state Department of Corrections and Community Supervision, parent agency of the parole board, to show their support.

"We could have filled the parking lot with people who wanted to come," Richard Tinyes said.

The killer, Robert Golub, 48, is scheduled to appear before the full board at an upstate prison next month in his second bid for release.

The March 1989 slaying sparked a feud between the Golub and the Tinyes families that kept up until the Golubs moved in 2009. That year, Golub said in a Newsday interview at Green Haven Prison in upstate Stormville that he had nothing to do with Kelly Ann Tinyes' murder.

He was sentenced to 25 years to life and first applied for parole in 2013. That was also the first time he finally admitted that he did kill Tinyes, according to the parole board transcript of that hearing.

Golub apologized at the hearing and said he had not meant to kill her, saying he was using a "ridiculous" amount of anabolic steroids at the time and was in a rage.

Police found Kelly's body in a sleeping bag in a closet in the Golub home a day after she was last seen leaving her Horton Road home and going into his family's nearby residence. Prosecutors said the girl had been strangled and sexually mutilated.

Golub told the parole board he "assumed" Kelly was at the house to visit his younger brother but that he wasn't sure. He said his brother and his brother's two friends apparently were also in the house when Kelly tumbled down the stairs and he dragged her around the house. But he said there was a stereo playing upstairs, and they didn't hear what happened from the second floor.

There was no mention in the parole transcript from 2013 about a phone call prosecutors said the victim got from someone in the Golub home before she went there.

Golub told the parole board he was "very, very sorry" and would live every day in his victim's memory if released from prison.

Latest Long Island News

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.