TODAY'S PAPER
Overcast 55° Good Morning
Overcast 55° Good Morning
Long IslandNassau

Woman hurt, 2 cats dead in Long Beach kitchen fire started by fumes from gas can, officials say

A woman was injured and two cats died

A woman was injured and two cats died in a kitchen fire at a Long Beach apartment complex early Saturday, Jan. 23, 2016. Photo Credit: City of Long Beach Fire Department

A woman was injured and two cats died in a kitchen fire early Saturday morning at a Long Beach apartment complex.

Firefighters and Long Beach police received a call about fire and heavy smoke at a building in the 200 block of Shore Road just after midnight Friday. Crews were able to contain the fire to one apartment, Long Beach Fire Department officials said.

The Point Lookout-Lido, Island Park, Lawrence-Cedarhurst, Oceanside, Atlantic Beach Rescue, Baldwin, Inwood, East Rockaway and Rockville Centre fire departments assisted while firefighters worked to extinguish the blaze in blizzardlike conditions, officials said.

The apartment’s female occupant was treated at the scene for minor burns but declined to go to a hospital. Two cats inside were rescued, but later died of smoke inhalation.

Fire officials said the blaze began when a stove’s pilot light ignited fumes from a gas can in the kitchen.

The two apartments below the one that caught fire sustained water damage.

Latest Long Island News

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE