42° Good Morning
42° Good Morning
Long IslandNassau

Nassau police: Missing man, 19, found 'alive and well'

Luis Germosen holds a police poster of his

Luis Germosen holds a police poster of his missing son Louis Germosen, 19, of Westbury, on July 8. Credit: Howard Schnapp

A 19-year-old man from Westbury whose disappearance on June 28 prompted dozens of police officers from various agencies to spend several days combing Hempstead Lake State Park has been found "alive and well," police said on Saturday.

Louis Germosen had been focusing on his music in Manhattan and was unaware he was being sought, said his brother Brandon Valle, 22, speaking to Newsday from his mother’s porch.

"He was in Manhattan all this time. I don't want to say he forgot about us, he just had us in the back of his mind," Valle said.

"Meanwhile he was doing what he wants to do which is make music, just focused on his music."

Police offered no further details about Germosen’s return. In a brief interview, the teenager’s father, Luis Germosen, confirmed his son was safe and alive. Suzy Bayer, Germosen's stepmother, on Facebook said the couple found him in New York City after receiving a tip.

The brother explained a family friend who was in Manhattan saw him in the subway and alerted the family.

"They stuck by him until one of us got there," Valle said.

Germosen’s family had contacted the police in early July about their missing son, whom police said was last seen leaving his Westbury home with West Hempstead a potential destination. Nassau police issued a missing person alert about Germosen on July 6.

Two days later, a cousin of the missing man received several anonymous text messages, directing the family to search a pond at Hempstead Lake State Park for Germosen. The text ended with the words “Good luck God bless.”

By July 9, searchers from the Nassau County police, the marine bureau, State Police and state parks police had flooded the park.

A Nassau police helicopter circled over the park for hours, looking for any signs of the missing man.

Valle said Saturday his brother was with his father and was too overwhelmed to speak with the media.

He said he was initially angry after finding out his brother was OK because of the stress it caused the family and police, but he's happy everything worked out.

"He's good, alive, healthy," he said. "We're all  just happy he's alive; we're all relieved to see he's OK."


We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.