TODAY'S PAPER
50° Good Afternoon
50° Good Afternoon
Long IslandNassau

Nassau tries to block lease for new Baldwin precinct

Nassau County filed court papers Monday asking a judge to invalidate the lease for a new First Precinct station house in Baldwin, arguing it was improperly approved by the legislature in December.

The county said in court papers that the lease was not a good financial deal for the county, should have been competitively bid and that the legislative approval process was flawed.

The county sought a ruling in state Supreme Court in Mineola voiding the lease. The developer, Grand Baldwin Associates, has 20 days to file reply papers. The lawyer for the developer, Stuart Ball, did not return calls for comment Monday.

The lame-duck Democratic majority in the legislature approved the lease at its final meeting in December despite a plea from Mangano that it be put off so he could review it when he took office Jan. 1st.

The 30-year lease will cost the county $34 million, according to County Comptroller George Maragos, including $9.3 million in construction costs, $9.8 million in furnishing, and millions more in rent.

Legis. Diane Yatauro of Glen Cove, who had been Democratic presiding officer until Jan. 1st, when Republican took control of the legislature and the county executive position, criticized Mangano's decision.

"I am outraged that County Executive Mangano is placing politics above public safety," Yatauro said in a statement. "By starting another expensive lawsuit, Mr. Mangano will be costing County taxpayers serious money to carry out his own political agenda."

Comments

We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.