TODAY'S PAPER
62° Good Morning
62° Good Morning
Long IslandNassau

Nine go to hospital after smoke fills Baldwin home

Nine people were sent to the hospital on Sunday after a malfunctioning furnace filled their Baldwin home with smoke, according to the Baldwin Fire Department.

Firefighters received a call at 7:37 a.m. about smoke conditions at the home on Coolidge Avenue, said second deputy chief Karen Bendel.

When rescuers arrived, they found the house full of smoke and the occupants -- six adults and three children -- outside, Bendel said.

"There were high carbon monoxide levels in the smoke itself, but they didn't have a lengthy exposure to it," she said.

One person reported not feeling well, so all nine were taken to a hospital as a precaution, she said. Meanwhile, rescuers cleared the smoke from the home by opening the windows and using fans.

"It's habitable now," Bendel said of the home. "They just have to get their furnace serviced."

Nassau top stories