A smoldering fire pit outside a North Massapequa home erupted into a full-blown blaze that sent two people to the hospital, authorities.
The flames spread to a trash can and then the house on North Atlanta Avenue, said James Hickman, head of fire investigations for the Nassau County fire marshal's office.
A father and daughter who live in the home were taken to Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow to be treated for smoke inhalation, he said. They were in stable condition, he said.
The fire, reported just before 1 p.m., caused heavy damage to the house, he said, but no other injuries were reported.
North Massapequa fire officials could not be immediately reached Monday afternoon. Other details were not immediately available.