TODAY'S PAPER
48° Good Evening
NEWSDAY DEALS
YOU ARE A DEALS MEMBERVIEW DEALS
48° Good Evening
Long IslandNassau

Official: Freeport kitchen fire lands one person in hospital

The Freeport Fire Department responds to a kitchen

The Freeport Fire Department responds to a kitchen fire Wednesday, Oct. 18, 2017, at a Freeport apartment building, a Nassau County fire official said. Credit: Jim Staubitser

A Freeport man was rescued Wednesday by firefighters after he inadvertently turned on his gas stove — without realizing it — and started a kitchen fire, the Nassau County fire marshal’s office said.

He was taken to the Nassau University Medical Center for smoke inhalation and was in good condition, authorities said.

The blaze began just before 11 a.m. in the man’s first-floor home at a West Merrick Road apartment building, investigators said.

“He got sick and accidentally turned the stove on,” said James Hickman, supervisor of fire investigations. “He stumbled and didn’t realize he turned the stove on, and he went to bed because he was not feeling well.”

Several fire departments responded. Freeport firefighters located him in the bedroom and brought him out, Hickman said.

He said the blaze was confined to the kitchen.

Comments

We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.