Overcast 39° Good Afternoon
Overcast 39° Good Afternoon
Long IslandNassau

Police get 3 out of burning Sands Point home

Sands Point police escorted a couple and their grandson from a burning home Tuesday evening after an electric fireplace started burning, authorities said.

The fire was inside a Shorewood Drive home's bedroom, Brian Waterson, Port Washington assistant fire chief, said from the scene.

Sands Point police said two officers escorted out a couple in their 70s, a man and woman who have lived there for years. One of them used a wheelchair and was connected to oxygen tanks, police said.

An electric malfunction sparked flames about 6:35 p.m. in the fireplace, which was hard-wired inside the wall, police said.

The flames spread to the bedroom walls, but were put out just after 7 p.m., Waterson said.

The residents were given oxygen at the scene and will stay with local relatives, police said.

No other injuries were reported, fire and police officials said.

Latest Long Island News

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.