TODAY'S PAPER
Overcast 37° Good Evening
Overcast 37° Good Evening
Long IslandNassau

Police: Woman killed by generator fumes

Nassau police said an Oceanside woman died Monday of carbon monoxide poisoning from a generator being used in her home, bringing the total number of Sandy-related deaths on Long Island to nine.

Michelle Bracco, 44, was discovered unconscious in her Kresse Street home Monday night, police said. A portable generator was found in the attached garage, and the Oceanside Fire Department detected high levels of carbon monoxide in the house.

Police said there was no one else in the home, and someone who had come to the house and found Bracco unconscious had called police. Officials declined to identify the person.

Bracco was taken to South Nassau Communities Hospital, where she died at 11:05 p.m.

Police said she had lost electricity during the storm and was using the generator for heat and power.

Latest Long Island News

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE