About 200 people were briefly evacuated Tuesday from the food court at the Roosevelt Field Mall after a fire in a nearby electrical room, a fire official said.
The fire, contained to electrical equipment, resulted in smoke conditions that required evacuation of the area, said Michael Uttaro, Nassau County assistant chief fire marshal.
Uttaro said the fire, shortly after noon, was caused by a malfunction.
The Westbury Fire Department responded, with mutual aid from Mineola, Carle Place, Hicksville and Jericho, he said. About 50 firefighters in all responded.
No injuries were reported, and within 45 minutes or so, following venting, people were allowed back into the food court area.