Good Evening
Good Evening
Long IslandNassau

Sang Ho Kim search continues as Zacharia Yong Jae Shin service draws mourners

Family and friends gather for the wake of

Family and friends gather for the wake of Yong Jae Shin, 25, of Whitestone, in Flushing, who was killed in the shooting at an East Garden City company on Wednesday. (Sept. 29, 2013) Credit: Uli Seit

Police continued their search Sunday for a suspect in an East Garden City workplace shooting as family and friends paid their respects to one of the victims.

Three uniformed NYPD officers stood outside the Flushing, Queens, funeral home where a service was held for Zacharia Yong Jae Shin, 25, an office worker at Savenergy, Inc.

Shin was fatally shot and John Hyung Choi of Woodmere, the founder and owner of the business near Roosevelt Field mall, was seriously injured, in the shooting shortly after 10 a.m. Sept. 25.

Sang Ho Kim, 63, of Queens, the suspect in the double shooting, remains at large, despite a massive manhunt stretching some 70 miles from the crime scene, Nassau County police said Sunday.

John Lee, 24, who went to high school and an after-school SAT program with Shin, said he was a "really smart, diligent guy. He was a really good ice-breaker." Lee said Shin had graduated from Syracuse University.

Choi was transferred from Nassau University Medical Center to a North Shore-LIJ system hospital late Friday night, a hospital spokeswoman said Sunday. He was in critical condition there Sunday, a spokesman said.

The service took place as authorities continued their search for Kim. The search has stretched from train stations and highways to rugged hiking trails. Officials have issued bulletins to law enforcement agencies throughout the state, pored over hours of surveillance camera footage and used high-tech tools, such as infrared body heat sensors and cellphone signal tracking.

But still no sign of Kim.

The disgruntled vendor left a voice mail message threatening suicide two hours after the shooting, according to a family member. Police found his Honda Pilot sport utility vehicle that night in Cold Spring, a Putnam County village about 70 miles from the crime scene.

"He may have committed suicide, or he may have kept running and gotten very lucky," said a law enforcement official Saturday who was involved in the manhunt and spoke on condition of anonymity. "He had to drive a long way. His face was everywhere. Logically, he should have been located, so it is frustrating that this is still unresolved." With Nicole Fuller

Nassau top stories