TODAY'S PAPER
63° Good Afternoon
63° Good Afternoon
Long IslandNassau

Plumber burned in South Farmingdale house blaze, fire official says

A plumber accidentally started a fire Monday morning in a South Farmingdale home and was burned trying to put it out, the Nassau County fire marshal's office said.

He was at a Norwood Court house working with a blow torch on the pipes when the flame spread, authorities said, and 911 was called just after 10:10 a.m.

"He tried pulling the sheetrock to put the fire out, but the fire had gotten ahead of him," said James Hickman, head of fire investigations at the fire marshal's office.

He was taken to Nassau University Medical Center, Hickman said: "He burned his hands trying to put the fire out."

With John Valenti

Latest Long Island News