TODAY'S PAPER
Clear 41° Good Evening
Clear 41° Good Evening
Long IslandNassau

Electrical fire damages priest's bedroom at Garden City church rectory, officials say

Firefighters were called to a rectory fire at

Firefighters were called to a rectory fire at St. Anne's Parish in Garden City early Thursday, Sept. 24, 2015. Responders from at least six departments -- Garden City, Garden City Park, Franklin Square, New Hyde Park, Mineola and Westbury -- answered the call. Photo Credit: Lou Minutoli

An accidental electrical fire Thursday morning caused extensive damage to a priest's bedroom in the rectory of the St. Anne's Parish Church in Garden City, a Nassau County fire official said.

No one was injured -- and fast work by responding firefighters contained the blaze, officials said.

Assistant Chief Fire Marshal Michael F. Uttaro said a neighbor noticed smoke coming from the rectory -- and notified officials at about 7:30 a.m. Uttaro said the pastoral staff was elsewhere in the rectory, a stand-alone building, and were unaware of the fire.

Uttaro said there was extensive water and smoke damage to the room of origin, but said: "The fire departments did a great job, held it to that room."

He said the fire started when a small appliance malfunctioned, causing the blaze.

Responders included members from Garden City, Garden City Park, Franklin Square, New Hyde Park, Mineola, Stewart Manor and Westbury, officials said. Garden City police also responded and said there were no reported injuries.

The church is located on Dartmouth Street. Church officials were not immediately available for comment.

Latest Long Island News

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE