TODAY'S PAPER
Broken Clouds 39° Good Morning
Broken Clouds 39° Good Morning
Long IslandNassau

Stove left on after cooking sets Uniondale home on fire

A stove that was left on set a

A stove that was left on set a Uniondale home ablaze on Thursday, Jan. 5, 2017, causing serious damage, authorities said. One resident escaped through a window and firefighters rescued a dog from from the home. Photo Credit: Joseph Cassano

A stove that was left on set a Uniondale home ablaze Thursday, causing serious damage, authorities said.

One occupant escaped through a window of the Dale Place house at about 3 p.m., according to James Hickman, supervisor of investigations at the Nassau County fire marshal’s office.

Someone was cooking and accidentally left the stove on, he said, and five fire departments put the fire out.

Two chiefs, one from North Bellmore and the other from Hempstead, rescued a dog from the home, helping the canine survive without serious injuries, Hickman said.

Latest Long Island News

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE