A 16-year-old boy was hospitalized Friday after Nassau County police said his backpack caught fire.

A police spokeswoman said they received a call about an injured teen on Waterford Road in Island Park at about 10:55 a.m.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

A flammable substance in his bag overheated and caught fire, burning the boy’s back and arms, the spokeswoman said.

The boy was taken by helicopter to a local hospital. It was not immediately clear what the substance was or how serious the injuries were.