Two people suffered smoke inhalation in a Freeport fire that appeared to have started in the rear of a residence Wednesday and led to the evacuation of nearby homes, a village spokeswoman said.
A heavy fire at the rear of 30 Bedell St. was reported about noon, and occupants there were evacuated, said Sophia Johnson, a Freeport spokeswoman.
Freeport firefighters battled the blaze, and an occupant of the home and a neighbor suffered smoke inhalation, she said.
The fire was deemed accidental, and the county fire marshal's office is investigating, Johnson said.
Roadways near the site, south of Smith Street and west of South Main Street, were barricaded off, Johnson said, allowing firefighters and their equipment better access to the blaze.