52° Good Evening
52° Good Evening
Long IslandNassau

Wall Street banker arraigned on rape charge in Riverhead

Jason Lee arrives at court, hand-in-hand with his

Jason Lee arrives at court, hand-in-hand with his wife Alicia, for his arraignment on rape and other related charges accusing him of forcing a 20-year-old woman to have sex with him in August in an East Hampton rental. (Sept. 20, 2013) Credit: Joseph D. Sullivan

A Wall Street banker was arraigned Friday in Riverhead on rape and related charges accusing him of forcing a 20-year-old woman to have sex with him in an East Hampton rental in August.

Jason Lee, 37, of TriBeCa, who served as one of thousands of managing directors at Goldman Sachs, was indicted by a Suffolk grand jury on charges he raped an Irish national who was in the United States working during the summer, Suffolk prosecutors said.

The woman -- only identified in court papers as D.D. because she is a victim of a sexual crime -- had bruises on her body and the injuries she sustained are "consistent with the allegations," Suffolk District Attorney Thomas Spota said in an interview.

Lee pleaded not guilty to one count of first-degree rape, sexual misconduct and third-degree assault. He was freed after his family posted $100,000 cash bail set by Suffolk County Court Judge Barbara Kahn. Lee and his wife declined to comment.

He faces 5 to 25 years in prison if convicted of rape, the most serious charge.

Lee's attorney, Edward Burke Jr. of Sag Harbor, said his client engaged in consensual sex with the woman.

"This case will show and demonstrate that Jason Lee did not do these acts that he's accused of," Burke said after the arraignment.

Lee met the woman at the Georgica Restaurant and Lounge in Wainscott, where he was celebrating his 37th birthday, authorities said.

"At the time of the closing of the nightclub, the defendant asked the young lady and her friends if they would like to continue partying back at his house, which he was renting in East Hampton," Spota said. "They did that. They went back there."

It was inside the bathroom of the house, located at 1 Clover Leaf Lane, that the woman said Lee raped her, Spota said.

Soon after the alleged attack, the woman told her friends and her brother, who was at the nightclub and at Lee's house, what had happened, Spota said.

"They were not present at the actual encounter, but they will corroborate that she made an immediate outcry," Spota said.

Police came to Lee's summer rental when a man reported a possible stolen vehicle, according to a police report. While officers were there, the woman told them Lee had raped her, Spota said.

Officers searched for Lee and "after approximately 45 minutes to an hour, they found the defendant hiding in the backseat of his car and he was arrested," Spota said.

Lee, on leave since his arrest, is scheduled to return to court on Oct. 25. The woman has returned to Ireland, Spota said, but will return to testify against Lee if his case goes to trial.


We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.