Newsday won six New York Emmy awards for video and multimedia packages Saturday night, including for the documentary "When You're Ready," about a young man with a rare degenerative disorder and his mother's mission of hope.
The New York chapter of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences announced the winners at a ceremony at The Marriott Marquis in Times Square.
"It was an incredible night celebrating our Newsday team. I couldn’t be prouder that all of their hard work was honored," said Debby Krenek, publisher of Newsday.
Newsday’s winning entries in the 62nd annual competition were:
- In the Magazine Program category: "North Fork's Prodigal Son." Jessica Kelley, producer; Randee Daddona, Chris Ware and Jeffrey Basinger, photographers; Susan Elder, media manager; Miguel Cubillos, graphics; Caroline Curtin, research; Pervaiz Shallwani, host.
- In the News Special category: "Life on the Bays." Arnold Miller, Jeffrey Basinger and Bobby Cassidy, producers; Matthew Golub, media manager; Raychel Brightman, Randee Daddona and Chris Ware, photographers; Caroline Curtin, research; David Olson, reporter.
- In the Lifestyle Series category: "Feed Me TV Season 2." Arnold Miller and Jessica Kelley, producers; Megan Miller and Gregory Inserillo, editors; Chris Ware, photographer; Pervaiz Shallwani, host.
- In the Documentary category: "When You're Ready." Arnold Miller, Bobby Cassidy and John Keating, associate producers; Alejandra Villa and Megan Miller, producers; Jeffrey Basinger, music; Debbie Vigliotti, additional footage.
- In the Editor / Program category: Jeffrey Basinger.
- In the Photographer / Short Form category: Chris Ware.
Newsday had 14 nominations this year in 13 categories.
News 12 Long Island won six Emmys on Saturday. Sports anchor Kevin Maher won two, for Talent: Reporter and Talent: Anchor, and was named in a third. The station also won for coverage of topics including witchcraft on Long Island and esports.
News 12 Networks collected 51 nominations for work done at five of its outlets in the region: 21 on Long Island, 20 in Westchester, five in Connecticut, three in New Jersey, and one each in the Bronx and Brooklyn. The networks received a total of 16 Emmys.