Clear 41° Good Evening
Clear 41° Good Evening
Long IslandObituaries

Anthony Marini, owned sound company, dies at 80

As a boy growing up in the Bronx, Anthony Marini once talked his grandmother into buying a television to watch the opera -- then spent a day taking the machine apart.

"When his mother and father got home, they probably passed out," said Marini's wife, Vickie Marini. "He said, 'No, I'll get it back [together]. And he did.' "

The young electronics whiz grew up to start his own sound-system company, designing and installing systems across Long Island and the United States.

Marini, of Hauppauge, died of congestive heart failure Dec. 15 while on a cruise through the Panama Canal with his wife. He was 80.

After graduating from DeWitt Clinton High School in the Bronx, Marini lived in Huntington Bay before being drafted into the Army and sent to Korea, his wife said.

There, due to his prowess in electronics, Marini was assigned to the Signal Corps and attached to the Air Force, receiving numerous medals and citations, including the Korean Service Medal.

Marini returned to Long Island after his service and used the GI Bill to enroll at Farmingdale State College, where he received an associate degree in audiovisual technology.

He started his own business, A. Marini Electronics, after working for a Huntington television-repair company.

Vickie Marini said her husband's clients often became the couple's lifelong friends.

"There was not a person that he would meet that he wouldn't win over," she said. "His clients were his friends, and his friends lasted forever."

The Marinis moved to Hauppauge after their marriage in 1974. He continued in his business, installing sound systems for school districts, record companies, museums and hospitals.

In his spare time, Marini enjoyed woodworking and creating stained glass. He also was a ham-radio operator.

"The only thing he couldn't do was plumbing," Vickie Marini said. "His hobby beyond work and being a real sweet guy was making other people happy."

Anthony Marini never retired, instead choosing to hire workers to take on some of the more physically challenging jobs.

"He comes from a good working, ethical background," his wife said. "If he could dedicate 24 hours to it, he would have."

In addition to his wife, Anthony Marini is survived by their son, Brett Marini of Poughkeepsie; two children from a previous marriage, Kim Marini of Carrollton, Texas, and Bob Marini of East Northport, and a sister, Louise Muller of Portland, Ore.

A wake will be held Thursday from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. at Moloney's Hauppauge Funeral Home.

A funeral Mass will be celebrated at 10:45 a.m. Friday at St. Thomas More Roman Catholic Church in Hauppauge. Marini will be buried at Pinelawn Memorial Park in Pinelawn.

Latest Long Island News

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.