Few Clouds 31° Good Morning
Few Clouds 31° Good Morning
Long IslandObituaries

Fashion buyer Anne J. Tatta of Oyster Bay

Anne Tatta with husband John in an undated

Anne Tatta with husband John in an undated family photo. Anne died Thursday, Jan. 17, 2013. Her husband John died in 2005. Photo Credit: handout

Anne J. Tatta, a longtime fashion buyer from Oyster Bay, was known for her gregariousness, sense of style and devotion to family.

She was also the wife of the late John Tatta, who co-founded Cablevision and served as its president, chief operating officer and chairman of its board of directors' executive committee.

"She was a beautiful lady in every respect -- very direct, very forthright -- and always willing to help," said Cablevision Systems Corp. chairman Charles Dolan, who had known her since the early years when he and her husband were starting and building the business, which now owns Newsday.

Tatta, 87, died in her sleep Thursday at an assisted living facility in Glen Cove, said her daughter, Lisa Crowley of Oyster Bay.

Describing her mother as "a fashionista," Crowley also said, "She was pretty feisty -- a fighter" who "taught us to be independent."

The former Anne Frasca was born Feb. 10, 1925, in Manhattan, where she attended Hunter College before launching her 30-year career.

"I'll call her a great merchant," said Martin Miller, 85, of Long Beach and Pembroke Pines, Fla., who worked with Tatta in the early 1950s in the Manhattan office of what was National Bellas Hess catalog company. "She knew colors; she knew fabric; and she had a tremendous sense of style," he said. He also recalls her being a tough negotiator, looking for the best value when working with clothing manufacturers.

Tatta and her husband, who met through mutual friends, married in 1949, moving to Elmont and then to Oyster Bay in 1982.

Also known for her hospitality, she enjoyed socializing with friends and was "a liver of life," Crowley said.

"She was always welcoming," said Tatta's cousin, Marjorie Levy, 83, of Hollis, Queens. "You would always find people in her house."

Tatta's mother and her husband's parents lived with the family, which allowed Tatta to rise daily at 5 a.m. and commute to her job in the city, said her other daughter, Debbie DeCabia, also of Oyster Bay.

When it came to her family, "she was like a momma bear," DeCabia said, wanting to know her and her sister's friends and encouraging them to spend time at her home, socializing or doing homework.

By the late 1980s/early 1990s, her parents were spending half their time at their Fort Lauderdale home, DeCabia said, enjoying golf, and entertaining friends and family.

Tatta's other survivors include eight grandchildren and two brothers, Vito Frasca, 86, from the Orlando area, and Anthony Frasca, 84, of Ridge.

A funeral Mass was said Monday morning in the chapel of St. Dominic Roman Catholic Church, Oyster Bay, followed by interment in Locust Valley Cemetery.

Latest Long Island News

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.