A state appellate court has ended the threat of a Democratic primary in Nassau’s 5th Legislative District for the seat being vacated by Laura Curran, who is running for county executive.
The Appellate Division’s Second Judicial Department in Brooklyn Tuesday reversed State Supreme Court Justice Robert Bogle’s ruling that allowed Reginald Nicolas to remain on the ballot to challenge Freeport trustee Debra Mulé in the Sept. 12 primary. Mulé is backed by the Nassau Democratic Party.
Nicolas, of Baldwin, submitted 581 valid signatures but Democratic officials said 135 were from residents who do not live in the district. Bogle agreed that the signatures were invalid but said the party missed the deadline to file objections by six days.
The appellate court said Bogle “erred” in his ruling and that Mulé “is not bound by the strict time constraints governing the filing of objections.”
The court invalidated the 135 signatures, leaving Nicolas with fewer than the required 500 signatures to stay on the ballot.
“I am disappointed the ruling did not go my way,” said Nicolas, a nurse case manager. “I wish Mrs. Mulé the best of luck in the general election.”
Mulé’s campaign manager, Catherine Schlingheyde, said Mulé, “looks forward to spending each and every day listening to the concerns of voters across the 5th Legislative District.”
Also, in the race for East Hampton Town Board, the Appellate Division eliminated the Independence Party primary after ruling that candidate Gerard Larsen’s petition was invalid because it did not precisely specify the position he was seeking.
Larsen had been set to face off against incumbent Kathee Burke-Gonzalez and challenger Jeffrey Bragman for two board seats. Larsen, the former East Hampton Village police chief, will appear on the general election ballot on the Republican and Conservative Party lines.
With Rachelle Blidner