A Merrick resident who was disqualified from the GOP primary ballot in the 4th Congressional District is suing the Nassau County Board of Elections to have the decision overturned.
Michael Vista, 41, of Merrick, filed his suit in State Supreme Court on Friday. He had turned in more than the required 1,250 signatures on his designating petitions to make the GOP ballot, but elections officials, after a complaint, invalidated them earlier this week.
The officials said that Vista, previously a Democrat, hadn’t switched his registration in time to run as a Republican — nor received special acceptance by his new party that would have otherwise qualified him. They also ruled that his petitions didn’t clearly state the office he was seeking.
The elections board, Vista said in his suit, “made an erroneous determination of several questions of law and fact.” He is seeking an injunction that prohibits early ballots being mailed out without listing him as a candidate.
Vista, a former prosecutor and an Army veteran who served in Iraq, had filed his statement of candidacy with the Federal Election Commission in March but didn’t report raising any money as of April 1.
He is hoping to face Bruce Blakeman, of Long Beach, the former presiding officer of the Nassau County Legislature, and New Hyde park attorney Frank Scaturro, in the 4th District GOP primary on June 24. Blakeman has the backing of county party leaders.