While seeking re-election next week, Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone declined on Monday to rule out the possibility of running for higher office before the end of his hoped-for four-year term.
He's sitting on $1.8 million in campaign money 11 days before the election, as reported here on Sunday, and Newsday asked Bellone if he would serve his full term if re-elected to a second term.
“That’s absolutely my intention. But knowing how the world works, you never know what’s going to happen,” he said after signing a bill banning microbeads.
Regarding a congressional run, he said, “I don’t know how well I would fit in in Washington. I like to get things done.” His funds for the county executive race can’t be transferred to a federal race.
Asked if he had any interest in being governor, he said, “I am looking forward to working on Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s re-election.” Cuomo was elected last year to a second term, which runs through 2018.
Former Suffolk Executive Steve Levy and former Nassau Executive Tom Suozzi both tried to become governor while holding their county posts.
Bellone on Nov. 3 faces Republican James O’Connor, a lawyer and former North Hempstead Town Board member.