Sagamore Hill moves site
In December, Sagamore Hill will be closed for close to three years to allow restoration work on Theodore Roosevelt's home. Much of the renovations are to 10 rooms to make them more historically accurate.
National Park Service Director Jonathan B. Jarvis, front right, and Sagamore Hill National Historic Park supervisor Tom Ross, front left, participate in the annual Presidential Wreath Laying Ceremony at Theodore Roosevelt's grave in Youngs Memorial Cemetery in Oyster Bay. (Nov. 12, 2011)
Theodore Roosevelt campaigns on the Progressive Ticket for womens' rights, against child labor, for education, and for an 8-hour work day. (Nov. 12, 2011)
Teddy Roosevelt and family at Sagamore Hill, From left, Quentin, 6; Teddy Roosevelt; Ted, 16, Archie, 9, Alice, 17, Kermit, 14, Mrs. Edith Roosevelt, and Ethel, 12. CIRCA 1903
An existing cabinet that was in the basement of Sagamore Hill was moved to Old Orchard Museum, where thousands of objects from the house will be temporarily displayed. The cabinet contains Roosevelt family china that was used in the White House. (Nov. 12, 2011)
Teddy Roosevelt had two desks at Sagamore Hill. This was his second, in the North Room, the house's largest room, added in 1905.
This back porch which is used as a staff entrance was added in the 1950s. It will be removed when during the restoration. (Nov. 12, 2011)
Susan Sarna, project manager of Sagamore Hill, packs and moves historic books (she is holding an 1843 volume of The Natural History of New York) from the shelves of Theodore Roosevelt's library at Sagamore Hill. In December Sagamore Hill will be closed for two years for restoration and all the contents have to be packed, catalogued and stored. (Nov. 12, 2011)