TODAY'S PAPER
Overcast 41° Good Evening
Overcast 41° Good Evening
Long IslandSuffolk

17 people exposed to carbon monoxide from faulty air conditioner at Hauppauge factory, officials say

As many as 17 people were exposed to carbon monoxide leaking out of a faulty air conditioner in a Hauppauge factory Wednesday afternoon, Suffolk police said. Only one of the victims, however, fell ill with nausea and a headache.

Fourth Precinct officers responded to a report of a woman at Liqui-Mark at 30 Davids Dr. who was complaining of headache and nausea about 2:45 p.m. Emergency medical technicians from Hauppauge Central Islip Rescue responded and tested the air in the establishment, and found high levels of carbon monoxide.

The Hauppauge Fire Department tested about 30 employees and 17 of them tested positive for carbon monoxide exposure. Sixteen of those victims, who showed no symptoms, were taken to Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center, Southside Hospital in Bay Shore and St. Catherine of Sienna Medical Center in Smithtown, for treatment. The woman who did show symptoms was treated at Good Samaritan, police said.

Liqui-Mark, which manufactures and imports writing and drawing instruments, was to be closed until repairs could be made to the the air-conditioning unit that officials said was the cause of the high levels of carbon monoxide.

The Smithtown Fire Marshal also responded and the investigation is continuing, police said.

Latest Long Island News

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE