TODAY'S PAPER
Scattered Clouds 39° Good Morning
Scattered Clouds 39° Good Morning
Long IslandSuffolk

$2M suit contends newlyweds’ bridal suite looted

A view of Chateau La Mer in Lindenhurst

A view of Chateau La Mer in Lindenhurst Friday, Oct. 6, 2017. The owner of the reception hall and catering venue says the accusations by the newlyweds are false. Photo Credit: Danielle Finkelstein

A Lindenhurst catering hall was hit with a lawsuit this week by newlyweds who contend the bridal suite was “looted” and “ransacked” last month while they and their guests were celebrating the couple’s nuptials in another room, accusations the venue’s owner says are false.

In papers filed with state Supreme Court in Riverhead on Thursday, the groom, Robert Elges, and his bride, Jannine Elges, both 31, of Deer Park, contended that “thousands of dollars” in cash and jewelry were stolen from the bridal suite at Chateau La Mer during their wedding Sept. 9.

The Elgeses contended that the catering hall’s staff assured the couple and members of their wedding party that the room was “secured,” according to the lawsuit.

The newlyweds are suing Chateau La Mer and others for breach of contract and fraud for allegedly failing to live up to its contractual obligations.

The couple, who said the incident caused them “severe emotional distress,” is asking the court to award them $2 million in damages.

Yama Raj, a managing director of Chateau La Mer, called the newlyweds’ allegations dubious.

“They claimed the amount of money that was stolen was $600, then $100, then $83, then $90,” Raj said in an interview Friday.

Suffolk police came to the Chateau La Mer on Sept. 9, Raj said, and an officer said only $100 was reportedly stolen from the groom’s sister’s purse.

Raj said surveillance video outside the bridal suite showed 16 to 18 members of the wedding party and the couple’s family members going in and out of the room throughout the night, leaving the door ajar.

“We saw on the videotape that the girls went in and out of the room every five to 10 minutes,” said Raj. “They left the door open.”

A few days after the wedding reception, Raj said he met with the couple and the groom’s mother. He said the Elgeses wanted him to refund the entire cost of the wedding reception, which he said was about $24,000. When he refused, Raj said the couple asked for $12,000, which he also rejected.

Attempts to reach the Elgeses for comment Friday were unsuccessful.

Suffolk police said no police report was filed by Robert Elges or Jannine Elges, but a police report was filed by someone with that last name.

Latest Long Island News

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE