TODAY'S PAPER
47° Good Morning
47° Good Morning
Long IslandSuffolk

Restaurant evacuated, 2 taken to hospital due to carbon monoxide, official says

First responders outside the restaurant on Jericho Turnpike

First responders outside the restaurant on Jericho Turnpike in Commack on Wednesday night. Credit: Steve Silverman

Two people were hospitalized after firefighters found elevated levels of carbon monoxide Wednesday night at two businesses in Commack, a fire official said.

Employees at Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza heard an alarm and called the Commack Fire Department, said John Barry, third assistant chief. 

Firefighters responded about 8 p.m. to the restaurant on Jericho Turnpike near Town Line Road and evacuated everyone, Barry said. 

Barry said the "high" levels of carbon monoxide in the building came from a coal oven leak in the restaurant's kitchen. The gas also was seeping into the neighboring Chocolate Works store's space.

One person from each business was taken to a hospital, Barry said. They were expected to recover. About half a dozen others were treated at the scene.

Neither business responded to a request for comment. 

Fire marshals are investigating, a fire department spokesman said.  

Latest Long Island News