High carbon monoxide levels at an Amityville home that also serves as a day care sent four children and two adults to a hospital Sunday morning, fire officials said.
A call came in about 10 a.m. to the North Amityville Fire Department about occupants of the Coolidge Avenue home not feeling well, with symptoms including slight headaches, according to Chief of Department Craig Riordan.
Firefighters found elevated levels of carbon monoxide, and firefighters and North Amityville Ambulance took the six people to Good Samaritan Hospital as a “precautionary measure,” Riordan said. He said there were no serious injuries.
National Grid workers also responded and found a disconnected flue pipe on the water heater as a cause, utility spokeswoman Lystine Cush said. After further readings, they determined there was also a pipe leak in the house. Service was cut off at the meter, Cush said.
“The customer would have to get items repaired before service is restored,” Cush said. “It’s clearly a safety issue.”
Public documents show that the home is owned by Denise Mackey who operates Denise's Nursery Family Day Care out of the home. Mackey did not return calls for comment on Sunday.
The day care has been licensed to operate since 1999 and provides care during nontraditional hours, according to a state childcare licensing facility.
During six inspections in the past 24 months, investigators documented 11 violations that included not having a working smoke detector on every floor, failure of caregivers or volunteers to wash hands and not having a cushioned surface under play equipment, according to a state website on day care providers.
Riordan said he could not confirm whether the children transported to the hospital Sunday were part of the childcare business.