78° Good Morning
78° Good Morning
Long IslandSuffolk

Cops: E. Northport man killed son, woman in murder-suicide

This is a photo of Connele Maxwell from

This is a photo of Connele Maxwell from the 2009 Bellerose Avenue Elementary School yearbook. Maxwell and his mother were found dead in their East Northport apartment Wednesday, July 21, 2010, police said. Photo Credit: Handout

An East Northport man beat his 12-year-old son and the boy's mother to death in their apartment and then lay in front of a train steps from his home early Wednesday morning, killing himself, police said.

Police identified the victims as Ann Pabo, 47, and her son, Connele Pabo, who also used the name Maxwell.

Connele was a student at East Northport Middle School and would have been a seventh-grader in the fall.

Both were killed in an assault, although the exact nature of the attack is still under investigation, said police, who identified Scott Maxwell, 42, as the assailant.

Maxwell is Connele's father; he and Pabo were not married, police said.

There has been a history of domestic calls to the Laurel Road walk-up, although the last one was more than a year ago. Police described the calls as alleged harassments rather than violence.

Pabo had been granted an order of protection against Maxwell, police said. That measure had expired, police said.

"I knew she kicked him out," said neighbor Debbie Muller, 44. "He would leave and then come back."

At about 1 a.m. Maxwell lay in front of an eastbound Long Island Rail Road train, said Det. Sgt. Bruce Markgraf of the Homicide Squad. The tracks run just outside Maxwell's home on the busy street.

The bodies in the apartment were found at about 11 a.m. by MTA police looking to tell Pabo that Maxwell had committed suicide.

Crime scene investigators removed the bodies of Pabo and her son at about 6 p.m. Autopsies will be performed Thursday.

Maxwell's home is in a mixed-use building, where apartments share space with a food mart and a bar, The Laurel. And the building is just a few feet from the LIRR tracks.

Area residents and merchants were saddened to hear about the fate of Maxwell, who along with Pabo and Connele, is a fixture in the area.

"This morning when I heard [about the deaths] I was shocked," said Andy Lee, 41, owner of Deli Button, adding Maxwell "always smiled and was never angry."

He said Maxwell visited the deli several times a day eating lunch and breakfast there regularly, and that he came in sometimes with a woman and child, a boy who loved grilled-cheese sandwiches.

"He's a nice guy," Lee said. "I never saw anything bad about him.

Lee added Maxwell had told him in recent months that he had been looking for a job and was having no luck in his search.

Neighbor Betty Leiza, 52, said she at least once saw Maxwell bathing outside in a parking lot using a water-filled bucket. At other times, she said she saw him sleeping in a van, or sitting on the stairs leading up to his apartment.

Hamit Demir, 33, a store owner who lives in the building, said Maxwell had several small rummage sales outside the building over the past year or so. Among the items he sold were homemade jewelry and small Native American-looking designs, neighbors said.

"He was selling everything," Demir said.

Latest Long Island News