Police are crediting a smoke detector with saving the life of a 58-year-old Sag Harbor woman whose home was engulfed in flames early Monday.
The woman called 911 to report the fire after she was awakened by smoke detectors inside her home on Burkshire Place at 2:24 a.m., police said.
Southampton Town police said "due to the volume of fire and the speed at which it spread, it is believed that had the smoke detector not activated, the woman would have been overcome by smoke and/or flames." Police have not released the identity of the woman.
Police said Southampton police officers and volunteers from the Sag Harbor Fire Department arrived shortly after the 911 call, but found a portion of the house "engulfed in flames." Police said the home and two vehicles, including one in the garage, suffered "significant" damage in the blaze.
Firefighters from East Hampton, as well as Sag Harbor Volunteer Ambulance, also responded to the scene.
Volunteers from the Bridgehampton Fire Department were on standby to cover additional calls in Sag Harbor.
The Southampton Fire Marshal said the blaze does not appear to be suspicious.
The investigation, however, is continuing.